Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Tour: Scent of Jasmine by Jude Deveraux

The Scent of Jasmine
Publication Date: December 28, 2010
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 411
Series: Edilean (this can be read as standalone though)
My Rating:


Book Summary: Charleston, 1799: A daughter of Southern gentility and a gifted painter, Catherine Edilean Harcourt has no lack of suitors at home in Virginia, waiting to fulfill her dream of marriage and family. But Cay’s adventurous spirit, fostered by growing up with her three brothers, is piqued while visiting her godfather in South Carolina. Bedridden with a broken leg, he asks Cay to fill in for him on an urgent task: on her way to a fancy dress ball, she must deliver a packed horse to an old friend’s son—who also happens to be an escaped convict charged with murdering his wife! Cay agrees to the plan, which doesn’t go at all as planned . . . whereupon she finds herself fleeing Alexander McDowell’s captors, riding blind into the night with the fugitive Scotsman. Though she should fear him, Cay finds herself overwhelmingly attracted to Alex, and drawn into his tale of misguided justice and his innocence as they seek refuge in the steamy Florida everglades. Will trusting him be the worst mistake of her life? Or will falling in love be the salvation both of them have been looking for?

My Thoughts:  I liked the characters themselves in this book and the story line itself. A woman helping an escaped convict who was convicted of killing his wife. She gets stuck having to be on the run with him. It sounds good and enticing. Alex is a interesting male character. He was strong willed and determined to clear his name. Cay was a sassy and sarcastic female who was a little too innocent when it came to the real world. The two characters passion I thought should have been jumping off the pages. However, for me that just wasn't the case. The characters were not even attracted to one another at all from the beginning. Alex wanted his name cleared and that was all he was focused on. Cay was focused on getting home and away from this ugly and smelly man. Even after he finally bathed she was not attracted to him. The characters didn't have this want from one another that you would expect. They didn't feel drawn to one another. Instead they were an annoyance to one another. It wasn't until around page 220 that they finally shared their first kiss. Even when the characters were finally drawn to one another, I never felt the connection between the two. So, if you read this book for the romance aspect, it just wasn't there for me. However, as I stated the story line was good. I enjoyed the actual story when I wasn't waiting for these two character to be together. A twist is thrown in at the end. The last 100 pages of this book are packed with suspense and will hold you attention to see what might happen. Overall, this book is descent. I never like writing anything negative, but I think this book just wasn't for me. I know this is a good author, she has many books out and is well liked. So, I will just have to pick up another.




**This book was provided to me by the publishers in return for my honest review.**

No comments: