Friday, April 22, 2011

Redemption by Laurel Dewey



Redemption
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Crime
Series: Jane Dewey Book #2
Reviewed For: Pump Up Your Books
My Rating:


Book Blurb: After a series of life-changing events, detective Jane Perry has resigned from the Denver Police Department. Trying to make a living as a private investigator, she finds her past haunting her at every turn and old demons rising up to torment her. 
Then Jane meets Kit Clark, a woman who wants Jane to drive with her from Colorado to Northern California in search of a man who matches the description of the killer who murdered her granddaughter many years before. Kit’s convinced that the man has started to kill again and she wants to stop him. Jane thinks the woman is crazy—especially when she discovers that she’s a New Age devotee—but Jane is desperate for work. They head on the road, gathering critical information about the killer, and themselves, along the way. Jane has recently experienced several events in her life that seem to border on the paranormal, though she is a complete skeptic in that regard. Now, those experiences come with greater frequency. And when the trail of the killer leads to a fundamentalist church, the consequences of belief and faith propel her toward a deadly confrontation.


My Thoughts: As I sat down with this story, I was ready to be taken on a journey of thinking and figuring out clues. I did have to stop and think some with this book and the way my mind played things out, I had expected some big twists and turns in this story. People I felt would surely be involved in the mystery of the missing girl Charlotte, ended up being just as innocent as the book portrayed them. Jane found herself hunting many trails of people in her search for who Lou Peters who has recently been released from prison. Many times during the story I had hoped maybe he was innocent, even though it didn't look that way.

I enjoyed this book. While reading the book, I felt myself captivated by the characters and learning who they were. You never get too in dept though with any character. You know them mainly at their surface. I think at times, you got a little below the surface with some characters, but never by much. As far as the suspense in this book, its there for sure. I just found myself waiting on the twist in the book that would leave me talking to the book saying "Oh My Gosh!". Unfortunately, that just didn't comes. This book was fairly easy to figure out and know what was coming. However, it was still a very enjoyable read and I think anyone who likes this genre will be pleased. If you are a die hard romance reader, well, there is no romance in this book, so this book would not be classified as a romantic suspense.


 

No comments: