Sunday, October 3, 2010

Childrens Books (reviews)

I am going to review two different children books that have come to me recently to review.

Up first is Alphabet Woof! By Sherrie A. Madia
Alphabet Woof!
In this book, the little boys Aunt Mable has come over for her weekly lunch with him, where he never knows what she might make. This week, she has made alphabet soup. The boy accidentally spills the soup pot onto the floor, and then the dog, Moxy (the dog) licks up all the soup and eat it.  Then suddenly, the dog can talk and the tale on the dog becoming famous begins.

What I thought: This book reminded me a lot of Martha Speaks on PBS. Its s TV show where every day the dog eats alphabet soup so she can speak. Once I got past that, the story was decent. It was long winded in my opinion and since I read it prior to reading it to my children, I summed up the paragraphs to them. The story was a bit drawn out to me and I think it would have been a better story had it been shorter.

My Kids thoughts: My 3 year old sat and listened to the whole thing and really liked it, so that is what counts the most, if the kids like it. My 6 year old thought it was going to deal with the alphabet more. This book didn't keep his attention for long. I think this is better suited for younger children.

Up Next for review is:  G.W. Frog and the Circus Lion by George W. Everett
G.W. Frog and the Circus Lion

This book deals with a sad lion in the circus who no longer has his teeth and is no longer ferocious. He is not going to be in the circus this year because he just isn't scary anymore. G.W. Frog and Gerald the Grasshopper want to help. So they go out and enlist their friends to help make the lion new teeth. They return to the lion before the time the show is to begin and put the new teeth in. The lion can then roar very loudly and scare everyone around. He then gets to lead the parade.

My thoughts: I liked this story. I thought it had a great story line and taught my kids to help others in need, even if you have to go out of your way to help them. This was an easy read. The kids sat quietly for his story and were engrossed with the story.

My Kids thoughts: Each of them thoroughly enjoyed the story. It kept their attention throughout the story.



**I received both of these books from the authors/publishers for my honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review**

1 comment:

Diane said...

Both look adorable! :O)