Friday, August 12, 2011

DC Juris Guest Post: Magical Moments


Welcome to Becks Book Picks, DC Juris. I am very happy to have you guesting here today. Readers sit back and read about Magical Moments

Buried TreasureI hear people talking about magical moments all the time. Usually it involves grandiose events, like lavish parties or fabulous trips overseas. There are dazzling lights, tasty food, compelling and interesting people with fascinating conversation. The stories seem over the top, filled with fantastic things happening to wonderful people who find just the right words, and do just the right things at just the right time. Loud, audacious times, full of loud miracles.

But when I think about the magical moments in my life, they don't include any of those things. The most magical times, for me, have been simple times, with ordinary people, less than great food, and mediocre conversation about nothing important. Quiet times, full of quiet miracles.

The first one I can remember happened in my childhood. On the way to the bus stop, some neighborhood kids were throwing a little longhaired black kitten back and forth like a ball. My mom and I took her from them, and I convinced my mom to let me bring her home. Mom didn't know anything about rehabilitating kittens, so we stuck her in the rabbit hutch with our two rabbits and a bowl of milk. Mom said she probably wouldn't live and not to get my hopes up. I named her Inky and I checked on her every day before school, and after school I'd spend hours just looking at her. Inky never seemed to be getting any better, until one afternoon when I went to the cage. Inky was up, playing with the rabbits, jumping and rolling around with them.

The second one I can remember happened when I was in high school. My math class that year was Geometry, which I admittedly sucked at. Of course, part of the reason I sucked was that I just sucked, and the other part was that a certain male person of interest was in the class as well. I'd had a crush on him since junior high, so imagine my delight when I ended up in class with him, sitting behind him, no less. We started "going out" and without going into too much detail, I soon discovered that my knight in shining armor not only had some dents in his metal, but he also didn't know the first thing about chivalry. As the year went on and more and more things happened, and it was clear to anyone who paid attention that I was more than a little depressed. On the last day of the year, my Geometry teacher put her hand on my shoulder as I walked out the door, and said, "You are special."

The third one, and the last one I'll tell you about (though there have been tons more), came in 2002. Hubby, then just my boyfriend – we weren't even engaged yet – was critically ill in the ICU. They called and said I should get down there right away, because they didn't expect him to live. I called his family and we went to the hospital. By the time we got there, he had stabilized. The next day, when he was awake, everyone was allowed to see him. Most people, he had a hard time recognizing. These were people he'd grown up with – his family and friends – so my heart sank with the realization that he'd only know me for a little over a year. But my magical moment came when he turned his head, grinned, and held out his hand.
So keep your eyes open for magical moments every day. Remember, they don't have to be spectacular to be magical.





 

No comments: